Information Technology(IT) is broad term that encompasses lots of discipline under it. Here are some of the most common ones:
- Computer Programmer – these are the ones behind most of the software we are using today. Even from the programmers there are different sub categories. But in general, they are the brains of the software handling the logic behind business that software is handling.
- Web Developer – Web developers are more on the look and feel of the website we interact with. Mostly they work on the design, user experience and responsiveness of the website
- App Developer – Web developers are to the website and app developers are to mobile applications. Android and iPhone application developers have got their own title with the advent of smart phones.
- Database Developers – Database is what makes up the information era. Whatever you are grabbing from the internet is stored in the database. Staggering number of applications and websites are dependent on database. Database developers make sure there is right format, relation, and performance metrics for a database system. The database developers will handle fetching, inserting, updating and securing the data
- Database Administrators If database developers are drivers of the database, database admins can be considered as mechanics of the database. Database is huge by itself and needs a lot of babysitting. Data has to be replicated incase something happen and it can be restored, in bigger environment data will be residing in multiple places and they all have to sync up, backup and snapshots are taken periodically, data may move from datacenter to datacenter or to cloud and more.. these and other bigger database related tasks are done by database admins.
- DevOps – This profession is relatively new. It is a combination of Development and Operations. Specially this is achievable with the cloud these days. The two, development and operations, where different task handled by different teams. Now, we have a hybrid professionals that handle both.